Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

HP9000: Booting from CDROM

I have here a small HP 9000 machine which I need to reinstall. The installed Operating System is a HP-UX 11.31 which is messed up. I have no access to the MP via LAN, so I used the serial console. I connected the MP to my Solaris machine and started tip:

# tip hardwire

After that I powered on the machine. Then I could connect with the default username and password Admin/Admin (lucky that no other password was set). When this message appear I pressed any key to interrupt booting from harddisk:

Processor is booting from the first available device.

To discontinue, press any key within 10 seconds.

Boot terminated.

Then the Main Menu appears. To search for all available boot devices type:

Main Menu: Enter command or menu > search

Searching for potential boot device(s)
This may take several minutes.

To discontinue search, press any key (termination may not be immediate).


                                                                           IODC
   Path#  Device Path (dec)  Device Path (mnem)  Device Type               Rev
   -----  -----------------  ------------------  -----------               ----
   P0     0/0/2/0.0          ide.0               Random access media       1
   P1     0/1/1/0.0          intscsia.0          Random access media       1

Then boot from CDROM (press 'n' when prompting for IPL):

Main Menu: Enter command or menu > boot ide.0
Interact with IPL (Y, N, or Cancel)?> n

Booting...
Boot IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
...

Here you go. Some more information about booting a HP9000 machine can be found here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90173/ch02s01.html
http://www.unixhub.com/docs/hpux/hpux_boot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment